Sunday, March 21, 2010

Wool underwear and Sheepy Pants

I started knitting the gartini. I know it is probably ridiculous to make a pair of underwear out of wool, but I want them to match the Very Tall Socks! And let's face it, I'm not going to be needing to wear gartered underwear very often. Assuming that it turns out nice (and not like a "man-thong" like the first Knitting Lingerie Style underwear), I might put a fabric lining in also. I'm not sure it will turn out nice. I've gotten as far as I can without my second color (the dark purple, currently on the way to my house), and it seems okay size-wise (my gauge is good), but I think the last pair did too...Oh well, we will see what happens.

In the meantime, I yet again need a waiting-for-yarn project to work on. I could go back to the Cable Net socks for a few days, but I really don't think my hands will be up to it. So I don't really know what I want to work on.

I've kind of been thinking about licensing the Sheepy Pants pattern and selling longies. I know I always come up with these "make _ and sell it" ideas and never go through with it, so who knows. But it's only $30 to license the pattern and once you've paid that, you can make as many as you want and sell them without ever having to renew the pattern. So even if I got bored with it after making like five pairs, it would still be worth it, I think. People pay a lot for longies...Maybe I am just a big cheapo (I am, I admit it), but I was kind of amazed in looking through some online shops that $50 for a large pair (not including yarn cost) is apparently not completely unreasonable. It seems like depending on the size and any embellishments, a small pair could go for $30-$40. Making $30 for knitting a pair of baby pants would be awesome. I'm not necessarily interested in doing custom orders, but I figure if I make a pair that Kelly hates and refuses to put on her baby (or if I find yarn that I love and want to use for baby pants but I know Kelly won't like), I can sell it instead. I don't know, knowing me I probably won't follow through, but it's something to keep in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment