Monday, May 3, 2010

Cats love to sew.

Ok, maybe cats do not love to sew, but my cat most certainly loves sewing patterns. That crinkly tissue paper is absolutely too much fun to ignore. If I am cutting a pattern (they come in big sheets of tissue paper-type stuff, like maybe 6 feet x 3 feet. I don't know, it's been a while, but they are big), there is no greater thrill for kitty than to charge at the large sheets of paper and DIVE under them. I don't even know how she does it. I guess the wind from the cat onrush blows the paper upwards, creating a space to dive under? I'm not sure about the physics of it, but it's really frustrating when you're trying to cut paper or fabric with a sharp blade and a cat keeps swimming around underneath it. Regardless, I manage and the pattern gets cut into many smaller pieces, which, although probably not as much fun because of the lack of full body coverage, are still a pretty interesting thing. And oh so crinkly! Yay. Anyway, what this is leading up to is the fact that in cleaning out my sewing stuff the other day, I came across a piece of my current pattern which had somehow gotten separated from the rest and was in the closet. I think possibly Minnie hid it in there when she realized what she had done to it:


This is after I already started re-taping it back together. And really you can't even appreciate the damage from these pictures. There are actually pieces completely torn out and missing. Part of the right side and the top left corner are gone! Hopefully nothing important was shredded off...


Another reason cats like sewing is that the directions are printed on nice large pieces of paper as well, and what could be better than to plop down on a nice large piece of paper in the middle of the floor, especially if mom is trying to read it and decipher directions. The other day, Minnie was sitting on two pages of directions. I extracted the page that I needed and spread it out next to her. I turned my attention back to the actual fabric, and before I knew it she had migrated from the paper where she was perfectly comfortable onto the paper I was trying to read. Sigh. (The instruction papers are also fun to dive under and wear as sort of a shell, and in this way they keep ending up in completely different rooms than where I left them.)

A final reason (I'm sure there are more, but for now we'll stop at three) that cats love sewing is that fabric is comfy. I suspect that this suspiciously nest-like pile of fabric was where Minion slept last night.


Non-cat update: I finished the first leg of the longies and hemmed it. I also grafted the gusset, and I am currently on the second leg. Very cute so far.

1 comment: