I forgot to mention in my last post another quick sewing project I did a couple weeks ago, which was to make a memory game for my nephew Christian out of old fabric scraps.
This will probably be more fun when he's older (he's only 2), but there are so many ways to play as he grows up. Right now Kelly can use a few pairs face up to teach him to match. Later she can add more and more (there are 20 pairs total, so PLENTY of room to play around with how many to use!). Eventually she can turn them face down with just a few pairs and again adding more and more.
So anyway, I saw this online and thought it was a cute idea, so here it is. It was really easy. Some of the squares are kind of messy, but really there was no need to be all careful with straight edges or anything. The hardest part was settling on only 20 different fabrics! I could have done more, but I also wanted to make sure that I picked ones that were easy for a kid to tell that they matched. Some scraps I had have such large repeats that getting actual matching squares was too difficult, and even though an adult would probably be able to tell they went together, I tried to keep it restricted to fabrics that had very closely matching patterns in just a 2 x 2 inch square to make it easier for a young child. Even now, some of them aren't perfect matches (the black flowered one at the bottom of the third column) but are hopefully close enough not to throw a toddler off too much.