I've decided on my next project. The SKA Sockdown challenge this month is colorwork including Fairisle, intarsia, and entrelac. Entrelac did not work out. I've decided to return to Fairisle, which I love. So I saw this pattern, Spring Roses - In Vienna, recently and have decided to give it a shot. It will indeed be a challenge. There 6 pages of charts, there are different charts for each sock, multiple charts are worked at the same time, and the main pattern does not repeat (usually when I knit a few lines or a few repeats of a chart, I get used to how the pattern works, but this one is different through the whole chart. There are no repeats.) They are knee socks, of course, and I honestly don't know if I'll finish them in time to count for the Sockdown challenge prize drawing, but I think they will be fun and definitely challenging, which is the whole idea.
A picture of the charts. On the top right page, I only need the middle set. Every other page, I'll be using every chart. This is when I was in the middle of color coding and drawing grids on the charts. (Pink is used only for the left sock, blue is right, and orange is both.)
The only thing I am hoping does not turn out to be an issue is that it was written for sport weight yarn, and I am using fingering weight. I had a rough time getting gauge and ended up settling on size 3 needles for the body. I don't know if I'm going to like how that knits up, really. It might be considerably looser than I would like. I'm sure the sport weight at a 15 stitches x 16 rows = 2 inches gauge on size 1.5 needles would be nice and tight, but the same gauge with fingering weight on size 3 needles might not be as nice. We'll see. If I don't like how it's coming out, I could always try the size large (instead of small) on smaller needles. More stitches around at a tighter gauge might work if necessary. I really doubt I am going to finish these in time, ha.
I started them last night and so far haven't even finished the 35-round cuff.