Thursday, March 24, 2011

New dyed yarn for Alex

Alex gave me yarn a while ago to dye for her. I did one skein a couple months ago and I finally did the second one yesterday. I was trying to do Ink Stain, but the yarn I was using this time was very different and took the dye in a completely different way (the black turned green and purple), so it's a new color. I was trying to figure out what to call it, and the Incubus song Under My Umbrella came on my iPod. I had been thinking the other day that that would be a good name for a yarn color, and so that's what I named this one. I like it. Hopefully Alex will too since it's not at all what she asked for, haha.


I'm also working on a very cool pair of longies which I embroidered flowers onto. I have not been known for my embroidery skills in the past, and in fact I hated doing it, but I finally got the hang of it. I was going to duplicate stitch flowers on, but I'm also not too hot at that and I could not chart flowers that ended up looking like flowers because of the grid-like nature of duplicate stitching and the curvy nature of my flower doodles. So I decided just to draw some flowers on tissue paper, pin it to the knit fabric, embroider through the tissue paper and fabric all at once, and then peel the paper off when I was done. It worked perfectly. I did 5 flowers around the upper part and one on the knee (there will be one on each knee, but I only have one knee knit so far, haha). Very cute.

6 comments:

  1. I actually REALLY REALLY like the yarn! It looks better in this picture than the one you sent me while it was drying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, I know, I should have mentioned that I was having trouble getting a good picture of it at first! I was also going to tell you if you weren't totally thrilled with it, I definitely don't mind keeping it and dyeing something else for you, but if you REALLY REALLY like it, I guess it's okay? haha :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it so don't worry about keeping it :P it reminds me of under the ocean!

    ReplyDelete
  4. if you want me to try Ink Stain again sometime, maybe the KP bare merino would be better than the Peruvian Highland. But as long as you like this skein, my job is done for now, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, doing another Ink Stain sounds good :D but I really love this one so you won't have to do anymore dyeing anytime soon! I think this should be a new colorway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this was a total mistake color and I don't think I could duplicate it if I wanted to, hahaha

    ReplyDelete